Head and Neck Cancer Treatment
What Are My Options For Head and Neck Cancer Treatment?
When a patient is diagnosed with head or neck cancer, a course of treatment can be planned and administered by an ear, nose, and throat doctor. Find out more about the treatments that are available when you visit Dr. Victor Strelzow at his office in Irvine, CA. He is an ENT who specializes in head and neck surgery.
About Head and Neck Cancers
According to data published by the American Cancer Society’s, about 4 percent of cancer diagnoses in the United States are in the head and neck. These conditions include thyroid cancer, skin or lip cancer, oral cancer or lesions, sinus malignancies, and growths or lesions found in the neck or larynx. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 70 percent of oral cancers are caused by untreated HPV (human papillomavirus). Excessive smoking and alcohol abuse may also raise the risk of head and neck conditions. They are more common in men who are 50 or older. These conditions can be diagnosed, treated, and managed by an ear, nose, and throat specialist.
Signs That You Should See Your ENT
As with all diseases, early intervention is key to successfully treating head and neck cancers. These are a few signs that you should see your Irvine, CA ENT for an exam:
- Pain in the mouth, teeth, head, throat, or sinus cavity.
- Chronic sinus blockages and infections that don’t go away even with medication.
- Sores in the mouth that don’t heal after a long time.
- The presence of white lesions on the soft tissue inside the mouth.
- Problems breathing.
- Migraine headaches.
- Frequent nose bleeds.
- Trouble swallowing or feeling like there’s a lump, growth, or blockage.
- Hearing problems, ear pain, or tinnitus (constant ringing sound).
Diagnosis and Treatment
The treatments for head and neck cancers will vary depending on the exact diagnosis and stage of the disease. Options include:
- Parotid surgery
- Thyroid and parathyroid surgery
- Evaluation of neck masses (biopsy).
- Chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and radiation therapy.
- Face and neck reconstruction.
Get Help from an ENT
If you are diagnosed with head or neck cancer, see an ear, nose, and throat doctor who specializes in these types of cases. Call 949-753-9299 today to schedule an exam and consultation with Dr. Victor Strelzow at his office in Irvine, CA.